Class X Board Exams Cancelled, Class XII Postponed

Board Exams for Class 10th have been cancelled and 12th exams have been postponed, said the Union Ministry of Education on Wednesday after a high-level meeting chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
“Results of Class 10th will be prepared on the basis of an objective criterion to be developed by the Board. Class 12th exams will be held later, the situation will be reviewed on 1st June by the Board,” it added.

Union Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal on Wednesday said that the decision was made due to a spike in coronavirus cases.

Speaking to ANI, Union Education Minister said that Prime Minister Narendra Modi has given instruction to cancel the CBSE 10th Board Examination due to COVID -19 Pandemic.

Union Education Minister further told ANI that students of class 10th to be promoted on basis of internal assessment. If student not satisfied with the internal assessment then can give examination once situation will be Normal

“CBSE 12th board examination has been postponed till 31st May. The new date of 12th board examinations will announce after assessment of the prevailing situation of COVID-19

Prime Minister Narendra Modi held a meeting with the Union Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal, Education Secretary, and other important officials earlier today to discuss the issue of CBSE board exams, said sources.

On Tuesday, Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal had urged the Centre to cancel the CBSE board examinations amid a rise in the number of coronavirus cases in the national capital.

21,50,761 students were scheduled to appear in Class X CBSE borad exams while 14,30,243

students are supposed to take the Class XII exams.

CBSE, in normal circumstances, schedules Board exams for Classes X and XII from February 15 to the first week of April. (ANI)

UP CM Yogi Tests Covid-19 Positive, In Isolation

Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has tested positive for COVID-19 on Wednesday.

“I got tested for COVID-19 after showing some symptoms. The report is positive and I am in self-isolation and following all medical instructions. I am doing my work virtually. All the functions of the state government are running normally. Whoever came in my contact, please get their COVID test done,” Adityanath tweeted in Hindi.

The Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister on Tuesday went into self-isolation after coming into contact with some officials who tested positive for COVID-19.

Uttar Pradesh reported 18,021 new COVID-19 cases and 85 deaths on Tuesday. (ANI)

Fearing Lockdown, Migrants Returning To Native Places

By Gaurav Arora

Amidst the spike in coronavirus cases, people at Delhi’s Anand Vihar bus station were seen returning to their native places as they were fearing that the government may announce another lockdown soon like last year.
The national capital recorded 13,468 COVID-19 cases on Tuesday — the highest single-day spike so far.

Speaking to ANI, Subhash, a passenger who is a migrant worker and going to Hardoi said: “Lockdown is going to get imposed. So we are going back home, everyone is saying that lockdown is going to happen even our neighbours are saying so. I will start doing any work in Hardoi.”

He further said last year, when the lockdown was imposed he had to go back by walking. “We thought that if it happens again it would be better to leave early otherwise the situation will be the same,” he explained.

He added, “Now I am not in a mood of coming back to Delhi again.”

Another passenger, Chhedi Lal who works as a painter here said he is going back to his home town because of Assembly elections and as a premptive measure before any other lockdown.

“Everyone is saying the same thing, I am going back to my home and will do small work over there rather than staying in Delhi,” he added.

Some alone with backpacks, while some with their families, migrant workers were seen leaving for their home at the bus stop.

In view of the rapidly rising cases, the Delhi government has imposed a night curfew in the national capital from 10 pm to 5 am on April 6 till April 30.

The city witnessed a new surge of 13,468 COVID-19 cases — the highest single-day spike so far — and 81 deaths were reported in Delhi in the last 24 hours.

According to the health department bulletin released on Tuesday evening, the total number of active cases in the city has gone up to 43,510.

A total of 1,02,460 tests, including 64544 RTPCR, were conducted in the last 24 hours.

The cumulative positivity rate in the city has gone up to 4.76 per cent. A total of 7,972 people recovered from the disease in the last 24 hours taking the recovery rate to 92.67 per cent.

Yesterday, Maharashtra government also announced a series of strict restrictions in the state till May 1 including the imposition of Section 144 from Wednesday in view of rising COVID-19 cases. (ANI)

Akhilesh Yadav Tests Positive Of Covid-19

Former Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister and Samajwadi Party (SP) chief Akhilesh Yadav has tested positive for COVID-19.

Taking it to Twitter on Wednesday, Yadav said he is currently under home isolation and urged those who came in contact with him in the last few days to get themselves checked for COVID-19.

“My reports for COVID-19 have come positive today. I have isolated myself and treatment has started at home. All the people who have come in contact with me in the last few days please get tested. They are also requested to remain in isolation for a few days,” Akhilesh Yadav tweeted.

Earlier on Tuesday, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath went into self-isolation after coming into contact with a few officials who tested positive for COVID-19.

The Uttar Pradesh government has already announced restrictions on gatherings of five or more people in religious places for effective control of the Covid-19 pandemic during Navratri and Ramzan. (ANI)

India-China Tension High Despite Pullback: US Intel

Terming Chinese “occupation of contested areas” on the Sino-Indian border last year a “most serious escalation in decades”, a United States intelligence report said border tensions between New Delhi and Beijing “remain high” despite some force pullbacks early this year.

In an unclassified annual report on worldwide threats assessment, the US’ Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI) on Tuesday noted that after multiple rounds of talks, as of mid-February, both sides were pulling back forces and equipment from some sites along the disputed border.
The office of DNI oversees the US Intelligence Community and serves as principal adviser to the President on intelligence issues.

“China-India border tensions remain high, despite some force pullbacks this year. China’s occupation since May 2020 of contested border areas is the most serious escalation in decades and led to the first lethal border clash between the two countries since 1975,” the report said.

“As of mid-February, after multiple rounds of talks, both sides were pulling back forces and equipment from some sites along the disputed border,” it added.

The report said interstate conflicts will also flare, ranging from border sparring, such as that between China and India, to potentially more sustained violent confrontations.

“Internal and interstate conflict and instability will continue to pose direct and indirect threats to US persons and interests during the next year. Competition for power and resources, ethnic strife and ideology will drive insurgency and civil war in many countries,” the report said.

Actions by Chinese army resulted in a stand-off between India and China last year.

The two sides agreed to disengage their troops around Pangong Tso two months ago after extensive talks but points of friction remain, including Hot Springs, Gogra and Depsang in eastern Ladakh.

India and China held the 11th round of Corps Commander-level talks in Ladakh last week. (ANI)

Covid Surge: Section 144 In Maharashtra From April 14

Maharashtra Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray on Tuesday announced a series of strict restrictions in the state till May 1 including the imposition of Section 144 from Wednesday in view of rising COVID-19 cases and but said he will not term the new restrictions as “lockdown”.

Thackeray, who addressed the people of the state, said the government was imposing “strict restrictions” which will come into effect from 8 pm tomorrow.
“Section 144 to be imposed in the entire state from tomorrow. I will not term this as lockdown,” he said.

Under the new guidelines, all establishments, public places, activities will remain closed in the state. Only essential services will be exempted, and their operations to be unrestricted.

The guidelines said that cinema halls, theatres, auditoriums, amusement parks, gyms, sports complexes will remain closed till Section 144 is imposed in the state.

Local train and bus services will be allowed for essential services only and hotels and restaurants will allow only take-away home deliveries.

Petrol pumps, financial institutions associated with SEBI, and construction work will continue.

Shooting for films, serial, ads will remain suspended in Maharashtra from 8 pm, April 14 till 7 am May 1. All shops, malls, shopping centers not performing essential services will also remain closed during this time.

“All places of worship, schools, and colleges, private coaching classes, barbershops, spas, salons, and beauty parlous will remain closed from tomorrow till 7 am on May 1, e-commerce will be only allowed for the delivery of essential goods and services. No religious, social, cultural or political functions allowed,” the guidelines said.

The Chief Minister said the state is continuously upgrading healthcare infrastructure but it is under pressure.

“There is a shortage of medical oxygen, beds and the demand for Remdesivir has also increased. I have requested the Prime Minister to give us permission to bring medical oxygen from other states and he has accepted our request,” he said.

Thackeray said he will speak to the Prime Minister to request him to provide us India Air Force (IAF) assistance in the supply of oxygen for medical use from nearby states.

Thackeray said Maharashtra had reported 60,212 new COVID-19 cases and the number was “frightening”.

He said there is a need to accelerate the vaccination process in the state.

Section 144 prevents gathering of four or more persons. All restrictions will apply till 7 am on May 1.

Several districts in Maharashtra including the capital Mumbai are severely hit by the second wave of COVID infections. Mumbai reported 7,898 new cases and 26 deaths in the last 24 hours, while Nagpur district reported 6826 new COVID19 cases, 3518 recoveries, and 65 deaths, on Tuesday. (ANI)

Long Queue Of Covid Patients Ambulances In Ahmedabad

A long queue of ambulances was seen on Monday night outside Ahmedabad’s Civil Hospital amid the deteriorating situation of COVID-19 in the state.

A total of 45 ambulances were seen lined up outside the hospital while several patients have complained of having to be in the waiting line for long.

“The number of patients are on the rise. We have 2,008 patients admitted on Medicity campus while our capacity is 2,120. Our occupancy right now is 90-95 per cent,” said JV Modi, Superintendent, Civil Hospital.

Upon being asked about patients’ grievance on being in the waiting line for long, he said that was not the case.

“Last night, there were 45 ambulances outside the hospital and we admitted all of them. We did not say no to anyone. We take critical patients first who need ventilator beds,” Modi added.

Gujarat currently has 30,680 active cases.

India reported over 1.61 lakh new COVID-19 cases on Monday, according to the union health ministry. (ANI)

Congress Set To Launch Its YouTube Channel

The Congress party will be launching its YouTube channel on Wednesday, which marks the birth anniversary of Bhimrao Ambedkar. The channel is named “INC TV”.

The senior party leaders will formally launch the channel with a small documentary on Mahatma Gandhi and Bhimrao Ambedkar.

Through this channel, the party will share their stand on different political issues and opinions on the policies and programs of the government.

According to the sources within the Congress party, the launch of the YouTube channel will help them to fight BJP in a better way.

Significantly, a few months ago, the Congress Party stopped going into the debates of TV channels, accusing many news channels of having a one-sided debate and arguing on the issues which were divided rather than the issues of the country. However, the party had decided to re-send its spokespersons to the debates of the news channels.

The Congress has often alleged the main-stream media for not raising the voice of the opposition parties prominently,

Congress sources said that initially, it will be a programming-based channel, which will later be converted into a 24-hour YouTube channel. (ANI)

Delhi To Face Water Shortage In Summer Due To Haryana: AAP

Delhi Jal Board Vice Chairman Raghav Chadha on Tuesday said south, north, central, and west Delhi are going to be hit by water scarcity as Haryana is not supplying sufficient water to the national capital.

“The water supply in south, north, central, and west Delhi is going to be affected as Haryana is recklessly turning a blind eye to the people of Delhi. They are not honouring even their legal commitments as the Supreme Court has already fixed the quality and quantity of water that Haryana is obliged to supply to Delhi,” Chadha said in a press meet.
The Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) leader also alleged that Haryana is wilfully brushing aside its responsibilities and violating the rights of 22 million citizens of Delhi.

“I am saying this with responsibility that this is criminal negligence on part of Haryana government and they are, to some extent, willfully violating the right to life of 22 million citizens of Delhi,” he further said. (ANI)

25 Chinese Jets Enter Taiwan Zone, Biggest Incursion Ever

Taiwan has reported the biggest incursion by Chinese warplanes as over two dozen Chinese aircrafts entered the Taiwanese air defence zone on Monday.

In the People’s Liberation Army Air Force’s (PLAAF) biggest incursion so far this year, 22 warplanes, including 14 Shenyang J-16 fighter jets, four Chengdu J-10 fighters, and four Xian H-6 bombers entered the southwest corner of Taiwan’s air defence identification zone (ADIZ), Taiwan News reported citing Taiwanese Ministry of National Defense (MND).

In addition, three slower turboprops — two Shaanxi Y-8 anti-submarine warfare planes and one Shaanxi KJ-500 airborne early warning and control aircraft — were also tracked in the zone.

Air defence identification zones are early warning systems that help countries detect incursions into their airspace.

Any aircraft entering such an area is supposed to report its route and purpose to the “host” nation, though the zones are classified as international airspace and pilots are not legally bound to make such a notification.

In response, Taiwan scrambled jets issued radio warnings and deployed air defence missile systems to track the PLAAF planes. Monday’s 25 planes comprised the largest incursion since March 26, when Beijing sent 20 aircraft into Taiwan’s ADIZ.

It came just three days after the US issued new guidelines that will deepen its ties with Taiwan.

The latest guidelines from the US State Department will mean American officials can meet more freely with their Taiwanese counterparts.

Washington’s Secretary of State Antony Blinken said last Friday that the US is concerned about China’s aggressive actions against Taiwan – and warned it would be a “serious mistake” for anyone to try to change the status quo in the Western Pacific by force.

Since mid-September of last year, Beijing has stepped up its gray-zone tactics by regularly sending planes into Taiwan’s ADIZ, with most instances occurring in the southwest corner of the zone and usually consisting of one to three slow-flying turboprop planes.

Over the past few months, Taiwan has reported incursion by Chinese warplanes into ADIZ almost daily. On March 26, Taiwan reported the incursion of 20 Chinese warplanes.

Last month, Taiwanese premier Su Tseng-chang termed the incursion by Chinese warplanes into Taiwan’s Air Defense Identification Zone (ADZ) as “unnecessary” and “thoughtless”. Beijing claims full sovereignty over Taiwan, a democracy of almost 24 million people located off the southeastern coast of mainland China, despite the fact that the two sides have been governed separately for more than seven decades.

Taipei, on the other hand, has countered the Chinese aggression by increasing strategic ties with democracies including the US, which has been repeatedly opposed by Beijing.

China has threatened that “Taiwan’s independence” means war.

Wu Qian, spokesperson of China’s Ministry of National Defence, on January 28 “warned” the people wanting “Taiwan independence” and had said “those who play with fire will set themselves on fire, and seeking ‘Taiwan independence’ means nothing but war”. (ANI)