BJP List Shuts The Door On Shatrughan

The BJP on Saturday released its list of candidates for Bihar Lok Sabha elections, notably dropping Shatrughan Sinha and fielding Union Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad from the Patna Saheb seat.

The National Democratic Alliance (NDA) released its second list of candidates on Saturday for all the 40 Lok Sabha seats.

It is believed that actor-turned-politician Sinha was dropped from the list as he has been critical of the political quarters’ top leadership on various occasions in the past.

Addressing media, BJP general secretary Bhupender Yadav informed that Lok Janshakti Party’s Chandan Kumar will contest from Bihar’s Nawada and sitting Nawada MP Union Minister Giriraj Singh will contest from Begusarai parliamentary constituency.

Minister of State (MoS) Rajiv Pratap Rudy has been announced as NDA’s Lok Sabha election candidate from Saran constituency while Union agriculture minister Radha Mohan Singh will fight from East Champaran.

Lok Janshakti Party’s Chirag Paswan, son of Ram Vilas Paswan, is set to contest from Jamui in April.

The list also included the names of Ramkirpal Yadav who will contest from Patliputra, RK Singh from Arrah and Ashwani Choubey from Buxar.

The BJP general secretary did not announce the name of the candidate who will contest from Khagaria Lok Sabha constituency citing that Ram Vilas Paswan’s Lok Jan Shakti Party has not finalised the candidate for the seat.

He also added that the candidates have been finalised by BJP president Amit Shah, JD(U) president Nitish Kumar and LJP leader Ram Vilas Paswan.

Bihar is one among those states of the country which will go for polling during all the seven phases of Lok Sabha Elections.

In Bihar, the different constituencies will see elections on April 11, 18, 23, and 29 and May 6, 12 and 19. The counting of votes will take place on May 23. (ANI)

]]>

Triple Talaq bill passed in LS amid high drama

Need to strengthen the bill: Congress

The government’s determination to get the Bill passed could be gauged from the fact that it was introduced in the morning and taken up for consideration in the afternoon by suspending relevant rules, and then passed in the evening by sitting late beyond the scheduled close of the House. Law and Justice Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad, who introduced the bill and later piloted it in the Lok Sabha, said history was being created today. He said the issue was not of religion or faith but of “gender justice and gender equality” and appealed to all the parties to rise above political considerations and politics of votebank. “Women are seeing that justice will be done to them. Let us speak in one voice that we are for gender justice and gender equity and pass the Bill unanimously,” Prasad said, winding up the discussion. Opposition parties accused the government of bringing the bill with “ulterior political motives”. Prasad said instances of instant triple talaq continue despite the Supreme Court ruling it as unconstitutional in August this year. He said the government had hoped the situation will improve after the Supreme Court verdict. “We had hope. The judgment came on August 22. There were 300 triple talaq cases in 2017 of which 100 had taken place after the Supreme Court verdict. This raises a big question,” Prasad said. He also referred to media reports on Thursday about an incident at Rampur in Uttar Pradesh in which a woman had been given talaq-e-biddat for waking up late. The bill seeks to declare pronouncement of talaq-e-biddat (three pronouncements of talaq at one go) by Muslim husbands void and illegal in view of the Supreme Court verdict. Prasad said while Justice Rohington Nariman and U.U. Lalit held in their judgment in August that instant divorce was unconstitutional and the government should look at bringing a law, Justice Kurian Joseph had observed that what is a sin in Islamic laws cannot be legal. The Minister saw no justification in the demand for referring the Bill to a standing committee saying the affected Muslim women were crying for justice and were fully backing it. He said there was contradiction in members wanting it to be referred to a standing committee and some arguing why it was not brought earlier. The Bill makes the act of pronouncing talaq-e-biddat punishable offence. There is provision for subsistence allowance from the husband for the livelihood and daily supporting needs of the wife as also of the dependent children. The wife would also be entitled to the custody of minor children. Intervening in the debate, Minister of State for External Affairs M.J. Akbar said time was now ripe for the passage of the legislation in the interest of Muslim women. He recalled an instance of a British journalist interviewing the late Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru after the passage of the Hindu Code Bill when she asked when would the government introduce reforms in Muslim laws. Nehru was not opposed to reforms of Muslim personal laws but merely said the time was not opportune then, Akbar said. “That time has come now.” Though Opposition members, including from the Congress, supported the legislation, they wanted it to be referred to a parliamentary committee so that several lacunae can be removed and the provisions strengthened in favour of Muslim women. The law must ensure that subsistence allowance and maintenance to the women and the children was not stopped, they felt. (IANS) // ]]>

Move over Piyush Goyal, it's Rajnath Singh and Prasad to the Jay Shah front now

THE HOME ADVANTAGE Singh rejected demands for probe into the alleged extraordinary spike in the turnover of a company owned by Jay Shah after the BJP-led National Democratic Alliance, describing them as “baseless”. “All these allegations are baseless and there is no truth in them. Earlier also there were a number of charges made against him (Amit Shah). No probe is required in the issue,” Singh said after inaugurating the National Investigation Agency headquarters in the Capital. BASELESS, REPEATS LAW MINISTER Singh’s use of the word baseless was the thrust of the law minister’s interaction with reporters in Kochi.  Jay Shah had done nothing wrong in his business, Prasad said. “What’s happening now is that a conspiracy has been hatched and allegations of corruption against Jay Shah have been made. Already he has filed a defamation suit to the tune of Rs 100 crore.”    

Prasad said Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi has no moral right to level these allegations “because he himself is on bail in a corruption case. He also should not forget that there are cases of corruption against his brother in law (Robert Vadra)”. Prasad arrived here to take part in the state-wide “Jana Raksha Yatra”, or “March for People’s Protection”, which began from Kannur on October 3 and will end in Thiruvananthapuram on October 17. THE WIRE KEEPS AT IT Meanwhile, the website that started it all with its October 8 report on Jay Shah on Tuesday raised questions on the permission given to Additional Solicitor General Tushar Mehta to provide legal assistance to Jay Shah in the Rs 100-crore criminal defamation suit he has filed against seven persons in connection with the wire report. Quoting the Law Officer (Conditions of Service) Rules, 1987, a report published by the site claimed that the relaxation allowed to ASG Mehta was an “exceptional route that can only be taken where the Union government or any central government instrumentality is not affected or is not likely to be affected.” “Even in the very defamation case that Shah has filed and which Mehta will represent him in, company filings with the Registrar of Companies, which is an instrumentality of the central government, would come under scrutiny. So would the records of the public sector undertaking, IREDA, its parent ministry, the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy, and railway minister Piyush Goyal, who headed the MNRE at the time,” the report said. (With IANS) // ]]>