Morbi Bride collapse tragedy

SC: Morbi Bride Collapse Incident Was An Enormous Tragedy

The Supreme Court on Monday said that the Morbi Bride collapse incident which claimed over 140 lives was an “enormous tragedy” and asked the Gujarat High Court which is already hearing a suo motu case on the same issue, to hold periodical hearings.

“It is an enormous tragedy and this will require weekly monitoring to see the award of contract, credential of the party awarded the contract, attribution of responsibility for those guilty,” observed a bench of Chief Justice DY Chandrachud and Justice Hima Kohli.
The apex court noted that a division bench headed by the Gujarat High Court Chief Justice has already taken a suo motu note of the incident and has passed three orders, it will not hear the petitions as of now.

It asked petitioners to approach the High Court with their pleas seeking an independent probe and award of dignified compensation to those who lost their family members.

The British-era bridge on the Machchhu river in Morbi collapsed on October 30 leaving over 140 dead including 47 children.

The top court was hearing a plea filed by the person who lost his two relatives in the incident, seeking a CBI probe, award of dignified compensation to those who lost their family members, the need to fix responsibility against officials of the Nagar Palika and that the agency entrusted to maintain the bridge is held accountable.

It was also hearing a PIL seeking direction to appoint a judicial commission under the supervision of a retired top court judge to initiate a probe on the Morbi Bridge collapse incident.

During the hearing, the bench said the Gujarat High Court had already taken suo motu cognisance of the Morbi bridge collapse on October 30 hence it wouldn’t hear the case. It said the High Court would “undoubtedly be seized of ensuring a regulatory mechanism so that such incidents do not recur.”

“We are of the view that the High Court would also bring to bear its time and attention on other aspects of the matter which have been highlighted above while recording the submissions of the learned counsel of the petitioner,” the bench stated in its order.

Solicitor General of India Tushar Mehta, appearing for the Gujarat government, submitted that the High Court has already taken note of the issue and that the petitioner can raise the issues there.

More than 140 people died and over 100 people were injured due to the collapse of the suspension bridge over the Morbi Macchu river.

As per reports, the bridge was closed for about 8 months for maintenance and the repair work was being completed by a private agency.

The Gujarat Police has filed a First Information Report under IPC sections 304 and 308 (culpable homicide not amounting to murder) in the bridge collapse tragedy.

The Gujarat government has constituted a five-member committee headed to probe the bridge collapse incident. (ANI)

Read More: https://lokmarg.com/

P Chidambaram on Morbi Bridge tragedy

Morbi Tragedy Brought Shame To Gujarat: Chidambaram

Veteran Congress leader and former finance minister P Chidambaram on Tuesday said the bridge collapse in Morbi has painted a bad picture of Gujarat and the most shocking part was that no one from the government apologized for the tragedy.

“Morbi bridge collapse has brought shame to the fair name of Gujarat…The most shocking development is that no one, on behalf of the govt, has apologized for the tragedy. No one has resigned from taking responsibility,” Chidambaram told reporters.
At least 135 people were killed and over 100 injured after a cable suspension bridge in Morbi town collapsed on October 30, plunging people into the Machchhu river.m

Further, when asked about prospects of emerging parties (such as AAP) contesting elections in Gujarat, Chidambaram said no one would vote for the party after seeing Delhi’s deteriorating air quality.

“If you’ve lived in Delhi as long as I’ve lived and if you believe the air in Delhi (is poor), you’ll not vote for Arvind Kejriwal in Gujarat,” said Chidambaram. (ANI)

Read More: https://lokmarg.com/

Morbi Bride collapse tragedy

Morbi Municipal Corporation Chief Officer Suspended

Chief Officer of Morbi Nagar Palika Sandipsinh Zala, has been suspended over dereliction in the Morbi mishap, where a century-old bridge collapsed, sources said on Friday.

The administration of Gujarat’s Morbi suspended the Chief Officer of Morbi Nagar Palika Sandipsinh Zala, following an investigation.
Earlier on Tuesday, Prime Minister Narendra Modi along with Gujarat Chief Minister Bhupendra Patel visited the bridge collapse site in Gujarat’s Morbi.

The Prime Minister met those who were involved in rescue and relief operations at the Machchhu river bridge collapse site. PM Modi, along with Gujarat CM Bhupendra Patel also visited the Civil Hospital in Morbi to meet the injured.

At least 135 people, including women and children, were killed and over 100 are receiving treatment for their injuries sustained after a cable suspension bridge in Morbi town collapsed on Sunday, plunging people into the Machchhu River.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi chaired a high-level meeting at Raj Bhavan, Gandhinagar, on Monday to review the situation in Morbi.

The Prime Minister was briefed on the rescue and relief operations that have been underway ever since the unfortunate mishap took place in Morbi. All aspects relating to the tragedy were discussed.

Prime Minister emphasized ensuring that those affected get all possible assistance, a PMO release said.

The high-level meeting was attended by Gujarat Chief Minister Bhupendra Bhai Patel, Home Minister Harsh Sanghavi, Chief Secretary and DGP of Gujarat, along with other top officials including from the Home Department of the state and Gujarat State Disaster Management Authority.

The Prime Minister had said earlier that there will be no laxity in rescue and relief operations.

The Gujarat government has constituted a five-member committee to probe the bridge collapse incident.

Nine persons including officials of Oreva, the company that renovated the bridge, ticket sellers, and security men have been arrested for the Morbi bridge collapse.

In the latest development, the search and rescue operation was called off on Thursday night, five days after a 143-year-old suspension bridge collapsed into the Machchu river claiming at least 135 lives, said the official.

State Commissioner of Relief Harshad Patel said that no more victims were reported missing so the rescue operation was called off. (ANI)

Read More:https://lokmarg.com/